Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Goodbye BEEX
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 14:53 
Hello Hello Hello

You know what, even though my life isn't that exciting, I do have better things to do with my time, such as gathering excrement from portaloos and smearing my entire naked body with it whilst goading a pack of angry Doberman Pinschers to viciously mutilate my genitals.

And now Cavey is well and truly gone, one of my reasons to be here is gone too.

And that Twitter stuff is just creepy.

I wish you all the best, even the people who keep calling me a cunt, because I don't have that much hatred in my heart.

Goodbye!

Post subject: Re: Goodbye BEEX
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:02 
Comfortably Dumb

For what it's worth, I'll be sorry to see you go. Take care and give my best to Cavey.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:05 
Beloved member

Don't be a such a drama queen, AE. Just mend your ways, stop acting like a broken record, behave appropriately in a public forum, respect others' feelings, don't insult people, and no one will have a reason to complain about you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:21 

It's not like you weren't given the opportunity (several, over many months if not years) to change your ways. Frankly, I've never seen a bunch of people on the internet be so tolerant of a "troll" to the point where people have just voluntarily left.

I'm not going to feel bad about you leaving, though. Sorry, but I don't think you're a victim. You would've been banned long ago on any other forum I've ever been on, no matter what the people who don't seem to recognise what you're doing say.

:shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:23 
Isn't that lovely?

If I was in his position I would rather leave than change my ways, and I'm really annoyed it's had to come to this.

Dimril and Chinny are two of my favourite posters, and I rarely find myself agreeing with AE, but I'm pissed off that they have led the charge on him.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:25 
Awesome
Yes

Malc wrote:
If I was in his position I would rather leave than change my ways, and I'm really annoyed it's had to come to this.

Dimril and Chinny are two of my favourite posters, and I rarely find myself agreeing with AE, but I'm pissed off that they have led the charge on him.

Malc

It's wrong to say that a charge was led by a few people, they just vocalised their feelings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:26 

Malc, please explain to me how it's fair that one person can go unpunished, protected even, whilst causing multiple people to leave. That just wouldn't happen anywhere else.

I know we set this place up and called it "Be Excellent To Each Other", but it says in the rules that we're a democracy. I currently live in a democratic society (ostensibly, at least). If I do something wrong, I get punished.

As for it being a charge, I disagree as well. We've had this out with him on multiple occasions over a very long period of time. We've explained to him over and over what it is he's doing, that people are sick of it, that people are leaving because of it, and he still refused to even moderate his ways. He remained pretty much ignorant of it entirely up until about 24 hours ago, for Christ's sake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:29 
Isn't that lovely?

WTB wrote:
It's not like you weren't given the opportunity (several, over many months if not years) to change your ways. Frankly, I've never seen a bunch of people on the internet be so tolerant of a "troll" to the point where people have just voluntarily left.

I'm not going to feel bad about you leaving, though. Sorry, but I don't think you're a victim. You would've been banned long ago on any other forum I've ever been on, no matter what the people who don't seem to recognise what you're doing say.

I don't think Craster, Kalmar, Curio or Grim... agree with you though, so I don't think they would have banned him, I think if they were going to ban people, they would have been more likely to ban the other people involved.

I could be wrong, it's just the feeling I have.

A vocal minority != the forum admins

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:31 

We're not a vocal minority, though. The poll shows a significant number of people were sick of him, and that probably doesn't include the numerous people who've left because of him. The poll finished 18-15. That's hardly a vocal minority. That's pretty tight.

And let's face it, half of the people who came out defending him were lurkers/infrequent posters or people who don't even participate in the discussions where AE does his "thing".

People are bloody sick of him, they had their say about it - and it has been a long time coming - and AE opted to leave rather than change his ways.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:33 
Beloved member

Malc wrote:

They might've already left as well. :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:34 
Terrible Human Being

I never really saw what the STAG lot meant about BEEX until this thing kicked off as I hadn't seen it going on first hand. Now it's pretty clear they had a point. But yeah, LOL THEY ARE TEH CRAZIES WE AM TEH NORMAL etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:35 
Isn't that lovely?

WTB wrote:
Malc, please explain to me how it's fair that one person can go unpunished, protected even, whilst causing multiple people to leave. That just wouldn't happen anywhere else.

I know we set this place up and called it "Be Excellent To Each Other", but it says in the rules that we're a democracy. I currently live in a democratic society (ostensibly, at least). If I do something wrong, I get punished.

As for it being a charge, I disagree as well. We've had this out with him on multiple occasions over a very long period of time. We've explained to him over and over what it is he's doing, that people are sick of it, that people are leaving because of it, and he still refused to even moderate his ways. He remained pretty much ignorant of it entirely up until about 24 hours ago, for Christ's sake.

The only vote that's happened has been one where the majority have said they don't want a system where posters like AE would be banned.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:35 

This guy was a troll!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:36 
Isn't that lovely?

WTB wrote:
We're not a vocal minority, though. The poll shows a significant number of people were sick of him, and that probably doesn't include the numerous people who've left because of him. The poll finished 18-15. That's hardly a vocal minority. That's pretty tight.

And let's face it, half of the people who came out defending him were lurkers/infrequent posters or people who don't even participate in the discussions where AE does his "thing".

People are bloody sick of him, they had their say about it - and it has been a long time coming - and AE opted to leave rather than change his ways.

is 15 less than 18? yes? then it's a minority, and they are mostly being vocal about it

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:37 
Isn't that lovely?

WTB wrote:
This guy was a troll!

In your (and others) opinion, in mine (and other others) he wasn't.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:38 

Malc wrote:
WTB wrote:

is 15 less than 18? yes? then it's a minority, and they are mostly being vocal about it

Malc

*consults dictionary*

Shit, you're right!

It's all pish

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
You know what, even though my life isn't that exciting, I do have better things to do with my time, such as gathering excrement from portaloos and smearing my entire naked body with it whilst goading a pack of angry Doberman Pinschers to viciously mutilate my genitals.

And now Cavey is well and truly gone, one of my reasons to be here is gone too.

And that Twitter stuff is just creepy.

I wish you all the best, even the people who keep calling me a cunt, because I don't have that much hatred in my heart.

Goodbye!

For what it's worth Sir, nothing you've posted has ever annoyed or irritated me. And I want to make that clear statement lest I'm lumped in with the rampaging lynch mob that's forced you to quit. This whole sorry situation has left an extremely nasty taste in my mouth. I neither have the energy or the inclination to devote my time to petty forum dramas, but I regret not spending five minutes or so to get my point across. I think I'm done here too.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

Isn't that lovely?

Mr Russell wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

It's wrong to say that a charge was led by a few people, they just vocalised their feelings.

Fair enough, led a charge was the wrong phrase. Part of a group that has ousted him.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:41 
Isn't that lovely?

Hero of Excellence wrote:
Malc wrote:

They've both left before, and I was sad that they had. But it's their choice, if they've left again, then I'd see it like a TV show that's been cancelled before it ran it's course.

But I see the treatment of AE and his leaving as bullying.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:51 
Numbskull

Malc wrote:
Hero of Excellence wrote:
Malc wrote:

They've both left before, and I was sad that they had. But it's their choice, if they've left again, then I'd see it like a TV show that's been cancelled before it ran it's course.

But I see the treatment of AE and his leaving as bullying.

Malc

Just to say I agree with both Malcs - I've PM-ed AE to remind him he's always welcome on my XBL friends list and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:54 

He'll remain welcome on my friends list as well. Just as long as he doesn't make my other friends leave.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:58 
Beloved member

My main problem with AE has been the reactions he's caused in others, and the hollowing out of the community that has resulted. I don't want to see anyone bullied, but I don't want the forum to have ended up in the state it is now either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 16:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

I do find it reasonably ironic than one of the main people pushing AE out this time, due to his relentless posting about a topic, was Chinny-80s reference-Amstrad-hill...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 16:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malc wrote:
I don't think Craster, Kalmar, Curio or Grim... agree with you though, so I don't think they would have banned him

I don't get to choose who gets banned.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 16:55 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
Malc wrote:
I don't think Craster, Kalmar, Curio or Grim... agree with you though, so I don't think they would have banned him

I don't get to choose who gets banned.

It's a democracy. We all do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 16:56 

Let's face it, nobody gets banned. That's why people were so exasperated. People felt as though AE had been given free reign to just carry on being a troll.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:03 
and!

Good luck, AE. Just make sure you don't take it personally - it's just the nature of forums, sadly.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:11 
EvilTrousers

Well that's left a very nasty taste in my mouth - moreso probably than the schism to see how certain people have behaved rather than just one mad scotchman.

I'm gone also.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Well done, WTB.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:25 
Awesome
Yes

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Well done, WTB.

Again, can't blame/give kudos to just one person.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:28 

I'm off as well. I've left a nasty taste in my own mouth.

This forum, by design, will never be able to deal with problem posters like AE without some sort of embarrassing episode like we've seen this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:32 
Awesome
Yes

Haha. Imagine everyone logging in on Monday morning and seeing this.

Bye everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:32 
Awesome
Yes

Just to be clear, I'm not leaving. I think that is childish.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:51 
Sleepyhead

As mods, we are not keen on banning people, especially when there is no actual consensus that they are doing anything wrong. I understand the frustrations of those keen on AE changing his posting style, but we don't want to go down the route that leads to banning anyone unpopular.

Of course, the current mods were elected, and any future elections will have the option to vote for others who would do things differently.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:52 

HELLO

HELLO

HELLO

HELLO

HELLO

HELLO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:59 
Hibernating Druid

What a brilliant end to the fantastic weekend I've had.

I hope everyone just takes some time out and come back showing a bit a decency towards fellow posters. I'm not leaving as at this rate Beex will become perfect for me, a forum about radio controlled models, WH40k and bacon.

Everyone, go fuck yourselves and ill see you in the morning x

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:06 
Chinny chin chin

Ah, the "goodbye cruel world" post. The classic indicator of if said poster was indeed an attention seeking troll or not.

Normal posters just vanish, or just mention within a thread that they are leaving. The troll on the other hand will start a whole new topic dedicated to why they must leave and how they are being forced out. They then lurk and then months later either come back rehabilitated or come back as big an arsehole as ever.

I'll take the blame for the mere 2 days where I have vocalised the feelings of others (although people appear to be trying to re-write this so that I have been doing this for so long I wasn't even back posting).

Perhaps nobody will come back. Who knows? Can't say no effort was made to try.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:07 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Russell wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Well done, WTB.

Again, can't blame/give kudos to just one person.

Oh, I know, I just think WTB's a cunt.

;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Ah, the "goodbye cruel world" post. The classic indicator of if said poster was indeed an attention seeking troll or not.

Normal posters just vanish, or just mention within a thread that they are leaving. The troll on the other hand will start a whole new topic dedicated to why they must leave and how they are being forced out. They then lurk and then months later either come back rehabilitated or come back as big an arsehole as ever.

I'll take the blame for the mere 2 days where I have vocalised the feelings of others (although people appear to be trying to re-write this so that I have been doing this for so long I wasn't even back posting).

Perhaps nobody will come back. Who knows? Can't say no effort was made to try.

Well done, thanks for saving the forum for everyone. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Chinny truly is the savior of Radio 1 beex.co.uk :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:13 
Chinny chin chin

WTB wrote:
I'm off as well. I've left a nasty taste in my own mouth.

This forum, by design, will never be able to deal with problem posters like AE without some sort of embarrassing episode like we've seen this weekend.

:this:

Why nobody managed to learn this after the CUS affair or JC or ("Comicallydeleted" - Ed). is beyond me. It's the same thing every time. One narcissistic rampant arsehole running around the place like a child whose parent just can't be bothered to intervene while onlookers tut.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CUS was banned, nothing like this happened with JC and Comical still (occasionally) sticks his head in, as far as I'm aware.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:23 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
nothing like this happened with JC

Really? Perhaps my memory is faulty here but as far as I recall it played out pretty much as above. People begging him to moderate his behaviour and repeatedly banging their heads against a brick wall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Grim... wrote:
nothing like this happened with JC

Really? Perhaps my memory is faulty here but as far as I recall it played out pretty much as above. People begging him to moderate his behaviour and repeatedly banging their heads against a brick wall.

Sort of, but there was no witch hunt. I told him to fuck off, and he did.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

These things are normally pretty much self-regulating. People don't tend to stick around somewhere where they don't get on with a very large chunk of the people around, especially when it's quite so blatantly expressed. That clearly didn't happen here, for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:28 
Beloved member

Well, yeah, that's why I disappear for ages, I'm under no illusions that 90% of the people here detest me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:32 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
Sort of, but there was no witch hunt. I told him to fuck off, and he did.

There was an undercurrent for a very long time. I don't want to start digging through the old posts though. I think it did get heated towards the end but I suspect you cut it short earlier as you say.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It's been a very busy weekend on the forum, the busiest I can remember. I hope that the lurkers who have spoke up this weekend will stick around when the dust settles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:49 
INFINITE POWAH

If this doesn't get Red Five to post, nothing will.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:51 

Am I a lurker or not? I can never quite figure it out.

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next