Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 

Would you like to see warnings on this forum that could eventually lead to bannings?
Yes 41%  41%  [ 15 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 20 ]
Don't know 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: The Poll
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 22:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It's the poll that no one wanted to start.

Now for the careful wording.

Think about your answer carefully. Would you like to see a warning system implemented on this forum? Posts could be reported and if a user gets so many reports in a month, then they would receive a warning. Too many warnings and you may be asked to take a break from the forum... Or something like that... Persistent bannings could result in permanent bannings. Obviously only in extreme cases.

I know that it isn't always a straight yes/no answer but clearly there's plenty of people who want to see something like this happen. I'm just putting this out there so we can all discuss it in a sensible manner.

Of course I have absolutely no bearing on the politics behind this forum, I'm merely asking the question.

Post subject: Re: The Poll
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:04 

I want to know, would it be permanent, or temporary?
I don't think that anyone deserves to be banned from something forever, but maybe if it was just a temp ban, (say, a few days up to a month)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:07 
Awesome
Yes

This is not the poll I wanted to see. I thought it would be:
Should AE leave?
1) Yes
2) No
3) I left because of AE and would come back if he left
4) If AE is forced to leave, I also will leave

Filthy Junkie Bitch

Would this involve Grim... Having to programme said feature for many hours?

If so, In.

Unpossible!

It's a good job that Grim... is on holiday.

Did banhammer go with him?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:08 
Paws for thought

Maybe rather than a banning, a picture of Anne Widdecombe nude should be displayed for ten seconds everytime the page is changed as punishment.

*Shivers*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mr Russell wrote:
Should AE leave?
1) Yes
2) No

By all means, feel free to start that poll but I didn't want to go straight out and name people. I just wanted to gather some opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:10 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Dave wrote:
Maybe rather than a banning, a picture of Craster nude should be displayed for ten seconds everytime the page is changed as punishment.

*Shivers*

FTFY. + Its easier to arrange.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:29 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Should AE leave?
1) Yes
2) No

By all means, feel free to start that poll but I didn't want to go straight out and name people. I just wanted to gather some opinions.

I think it would be more worthwhile, as we already have a Report Post feature which the mods can act on and choose to (temporarily) ban people if they wish.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:44 
INFINITE POWAH

You missed off "yes, if it's Myp"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 0:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Eugh. Smacks a bit of an anti-popularity contest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 0:42 
INFINITE POWAH

I nominATE cRASTER!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 0:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Ahem.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Should AE leave?
1) Yes
2) No

I think it would be more worthwhile, as we already have a Report Post feature which the mods can act on and choose to (temporarily) ban people if they wish.

Yeah man, you totally should have gone with braying mob option, no need to observe social niceties.

Hopefully this will help to get you in the mood.

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:39 
It's all pish

If we dare to go down such an utterly ridiculous, nonsensical route as "Banning by Vote" then this place is going to end up in a lot of trouble. Mark my words.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 
Where are you?

Ugh. This sounds decidedly non-excellent. Also, very depressing to see the current vote after I added mine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:59 
Meh

There really are some petty spiteful idiots in this place. The mind boggles, get a grip you clowns.

You really need a private forum where the eight of you can all agree with each other. Public forums involve people and personalities just like life, deal with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 

I cant win an argument.

I cant help replying to a poster.

I cant ignore a poster.

I therefore want said poster banned.

Ridiculous. :facepalm:

You want to join a 'real' forum if you think this is "tough".

I disagree vehemently with a certain 'Conservative' on this forum but do I want him banned? No. Never.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:25 
Comfortably Dumb

CraigGrannell wrote:
Ugh. This sounds decidedly non-excellent. Also, very depressing to see the current vote after I added mine.

:this:

I'm hoping that Grim will just ignore some of the threads from the past couple of days on his return. When I took a break from here, it was because I was getting annoyed by some folk's posting, but it's not the same people that are being moaned about now. I wouldn't want anyone banned or warned for that though - bans should be for folk posting spam links, obscene stuff etc... Grim's work on enhancing the ignore feature should be enough for most people, but maybe it can be tweaked a little further possibly.. I've not got anyone on my list at the moment so I don't know how effective it is

I wouldn't expect everyone to get on and agree on a forum of this size considering the variety of people we seem to have here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:57 

I don't think it helps that some people only really ever bother to post when there's drama or to moan about how shit the forum is or to make deliberately shit stirring threads like this big old pile of wank.

edit: sorry, I meant the "last one to leave turn out the light thread".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:41 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I didn't start this thread to stir shit so I'm sorry if its come across like that. I just wanted to gather opinions and discuss it out in the open to see what people thought.

I'm not directing it at anyone and have deliberately not named names because it would be unfair if I did. I don't have a problem with anyone on the forum and would hope that no one had a problem with me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:17 
Unpossible!

markg wrote:
I don't think it helps that some people only really ever bother to post when there's drama or to moan about how shit the forum is or to make deliberately shit stirring threads like this big old pile of wank.

I have to agree with this. It's hard to take criticism from people who only pop up for drama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
markg wrote:

I have to agree with this. It's hard to take criticism from people who only pop up for drama

It's almost as if they are droning on about the same old shit, and everyone is tired of it...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:32 
Hello Hello Hello

The problem with the poll as presented is that any reasonable person would answer 'yes'.

Vision would be much better to advised to name names, then we all know what we're talking about, as it is we're in some strange sort of grey area.

There should always be a mechanism for warning and in extreme circumstances, a ban, on any forums, for sustained and hateful abuse, or spamming, or defamatory matter that could get the forum in legal hot water.

If I just posted on the end of every thread with a comment along the lines of 'Person X is a nigger-loving cunt and I fucking hate homos and I beat my woman because bitches like beating' etc etc then hey, yes, I should get warned and/or have my posting rights removed and/or straight up banned pretty damn sharpish.

If all I ever posted were links to my affiliate website or some shit like that, in every thread, every day, then the same would apply.

If I continually posted accusations of paedophilia or corruption or whatever it may be, naming individuals in the process, then yes that stuff needs to be removed and I need to get warned and/or banned. On a local set of Manx Forums someone accused a local businessman of corruption in a property deal, and that shit went legal. In the end the businessman settled for £2000 out of court as gesture and gave it to charity, but make no mistake he could have taken the owner of the forums through court and absolutely to the cleaners. (The £2000 was raised from the membership and the signup screen on those forums now contains a set of terms and conditions you wouldn't believe.)

So my answer to the poll is 'yes', even though we all really know the poll is tangentially asking 'Should AE get banned'. (I'm not actually going to vote BTW, but if I did my answer would be yes, otherwise I'm saying I'd have no problem with a hateful homophobic racist signing up and trolling around the forums dealing out a non-stop torrent of vicious personal abuse at anyone he saw fit, however he saw fit, and whenever he saw fit.)

Incidentally, the whole thing is fucking pointless as there's already a long-established mechanism for warning and bans at BEEX that everyone implicitly accepts just by being here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25

Quote:
Failure to adhere to the RULES will result in a warning followed by suspension or an outright ban, on a case-by-case basis.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Just for the record, I didn't name names because I don't have a problem with anyone here. I was just trying to get conversation going and this poll came about from the 'lights out thread'. In hindsight, this probably wasn't the best way of going about it.

AE is correct in that there is a banning mention in the rules so technically by signing up to the forum, we all agree to it.

I wouldn't want to see anyone get banned as we haven't got a large amount of members in the first place, but perhaps we should try and see things from another persons point of view? For instance, I can skim past posts that I don't agree with but I can totally see how some people get aggravated by them and can't ignore them.

I haven't got an answer to anything.. I just like this forum and would love to see it grow.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:46 
Chinny chin chin

TheVision wrote:
I wouldn't want to see anyone get banned as we haven't got a large amount of members in the first place, but perhaps we should try and see things from another persons point of view? For instance, I can skim past posts that I don't agree with but I can totally see how some people get aggravated by them and can't ignore them.

The problem is that he just jumps in to the middle of stuff that often has nothing to do with PC's and goes "wah wah wah PC's" for 10,000 words at a time. And anyone who doesn't agree with him MUST be re-educated at all costs. And then he doesn't get why people think he's a pain in the arse.

It's like being in the pub with the dullest most blinkered football fan in the world. Yes, AE is Mr Portsmouth FC complete with that fucking bell. And we're the poor sods with seasons tickets who have to sit next to him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 13:01 
Hello Hello Hello

chinnyhill10 wrote:
The problem is that he just jumps in to the middle of stuff that often has nothing to do with PC's and goes "wah wah wah PC's" for 10,000 words at a time. And anyone who doesn't agree with him MUST be re-educated at all costs. And then he doesn't get why people think he's a pain in the arse.

Seriously though, where do I do this ALL THE TIME and in ALL THE THREADS?

Not in the Gas Guzzling Money Pits thread, which I am a regular contributor to. Or the Movie Topic, or the TV RMD thread, or the various political threads, or ANY OTHER FUCKING THREAD where there isn't a clear technology reference. Or how about the Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2 threads, where just about all my posts are entirely about the GAME and nothing to do with the platform. Yeah maybe I banged on about FC3 being crap, but it had knack-all to do with PCs.

Or how about the PC Gaming Hardware thread, where I regularly try to help people out, or Cookie's thread about his PC blue-screening, which I got a PM from him about thanking me for my help.

Or how about the MAME challenges which I always take part in and post my scores and thank zaphod for?

Or what about the World of Warcraft thread, where I spent ages and ages helping GY get to the grips with the game, and talked about nothing other than the game for its entire duration?

Or the 'Pointless emulation thread - fruit machines', which didn't get much traction in terms of new FME fans but Vision had a go and I burned off a DVD and sent it to him, and did at least trigger off a pretty interesting and well responded to thread about gambling.

I think my comments in the PS4 thread were on-topic and relevant, at least one BEEXer has said I had an interesting take on the situation.

And don't chuck the Mac thread at me, the advice I gave out of the gates last night (despite not knowing about Macs) has not been contradicted by anyone and indeed was reiterated by two other BEEXers this morning, despite you calling me a retarded child and a troll, and telling me that talk of keyloggers was entirely irrelevant.

My participation here is different to lot of folks because during the working day I'm not here and I'm not posting (if I'm posting Monday-Friday during the day then I'm off work), so I tend to play catch-up of an evening and I miss out on a lot of toing and froing, but the idea that I'm on some sort of BEEX wrecking mission is a nonsense.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 13:48 

I had no idea you supported Portsmouth.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 13:50 
Hello Hello Hello

GovernmentYard wrote:
I had no idea you supported Portsmouth.

Me neither!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 13:57 
EvilTrousers

Oh also I'm probably the only Beexer that has met both AE and DocG in real life. Both resemble fictional wizards (off of Harry Potter and He-Man respectively).

Perhaps that should be the common ground from which a beautiful friendship can blossom?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 14:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
Oh also I'm probably the only Beexer that has met both AE and DocG in real life. Both resemble fictional wizards (off of Harry Potter and He-Man respectively).

I haven't got those glasses any more!

I don't know what the fuck I was ever thinking with them, to be honest.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]