Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sony in non-shit new PS3 feature shocker
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:20 

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/05/24/s ... rm_gaming/

PSP games... remade on the PS3. So far, so yawn. But: cloud savegame syncing so you can move back and forth between the two platforms, taking your save with you. Pretty neat -- and although the PSP is rather long in the tooth now, the NGP is just around the corner.

Obviously there's a licensing and pricing issue (I don't want to pay half again retail costs for DLC games and also have to buy them twice, once for each platform) -- but on the whole I'd like to see more of this sort of thing. It's well beyond time iOS got iPad<->iPhone cloud savegame syncing, for example.

Post subject: Re: Sony in non-shit new PS3 feature shocker
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:26 
SavyGamer

I wouldn't get your hopes up about cloud saving. Unless you've seen it confirmed elsewhere, I've only seen references to the saves being compatible with each other, but nothing saying that it would do any kind of automatic syncing. Since "cloud saving" is a paid (PS+) feature on the PS3, and it works terribly, I doubt they would be including it in these.

I'm fairly sure that they have said that there will be games that get a dual PSP2/PS3 release. Essentially PSP2 stuff will run natively on the PS3 already.

Pretty cool though. I can't think of any PSP games off the top of my head that I would be desperate for a PS3 version of, but there might be some down the line.

I suppose we'll hear more about this and other stuff at E3.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 
UltraMod

Aren't most PSP games pared down versions of PS2/PS3 ones, or similar? Do Not Want.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:28 
SavyGamer

myoptikakaka wrote:
Aren't most PSP games pared down versions of PS2/PS3 ones, or similar? Do Not Want.

Many are, yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:31 

LewieP wrote:
I wouldn't get your hopes up about cloud saving. Unless you've seen it confirmed elsewhere, I've only seen references to the saves being compatible with each other, but nothing saying that it would do any kind of automatic syncing. Since "cloud saving" is a paid (PS+) feature on the PS3, and it works terribly, I doubt they would be including it in these.
Of course it'd be that -- moving saves between PS3 and PSP/NGP would be a perfect upsell to PS+. Why does it "work terribly"?

Anyway, I'm more excited by the application of cloud save syncing in general than Sony's implementation of it, they are merely first to market amongst console makers. Steam Cloud works quite well, for example, when not hampered by technical problems (cannot move Torchlight saves between Mac and PC, for some reason, or Portal 2 saves between PS3 and PC).

I want to see more of this sort of thing. iOS5 is hopefully bringing some support.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:33 
UltraMod

LewieP wrote:
myoptikakaka wrote:

Many are, yes.

See, I can see the appeal of playing full console games on-the-move, but not streamlined full console games designed for on-the-move at home.

"Hmm, I fancy a game of Burnout. Do I play Paradise or Dominator?"
"Hmm, I fancy a game of Rock Band. Do I play Rock Band 2 or Unplugged?"
"Hmm, I fancy a game of GTA. Do I play San Andreas or Liberty City Stories?"

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:40 
SavyGamer

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Of course it'd be that -- moving saves between PS3 and PSP/NGP would be a perfect upsell to PS+. Why does it "work terribly"?

Anyway, I'm more excited by the application of cloud save syncing in general than Sony's implementation of it, they are merely first to market amongst console makers. Steam Cloud works quite well, for example, when not hampered by technical problems (cannot move Torchlight saves between Mac and PC, for some reason, or Portal 2 saves between PS3 and PC).

I want to see more of this sort of thing. iOS5 is hopefully bringing some support.

On the PS3 it's not actually cloud saving in the way that any of us would actually think when we say cloud saving.

There is no automatic syncing, there is no saving to/loading from the cloud.

How it works is from the system menu, you can select saves (one at a time) upload them (one at a time), and then download them again at a later date (one at a time). Because it's a PS3, this takes ages. You also get a fairly limited amount of space.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 13:01 

Well, that does indeed sound shit. If it were anyone but Sony, I'd say it's just a v1 and a better upgrade was in the future.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 13:07 
SavyGamer

And Portal 2 on the PS3 has it better for free. Silly Sony.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 13:12 

LewieP wrote:
'cept it doesn't work from PC/Mac to PS3.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 13:15 
SavyGamer

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
LewieP wrote:
'cept it doesn't work from PC/Mac to PS3.

Yeah, that's a disappointing limitation. I wonder if that is a technical thing, or part of their agreement with Sony.

Edit: The new version of Broken Sword on ios/PC has cross platform cloud saving via dropbox. Really hope to see more of that kind of thing in the future.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 23:08 
Excellent Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EA-Sports-Comfort-Play-Technology/dp/B004322VEE/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1306706429&sr=8-13
Saw this and thought of Mr Dave. Judging by the reviews, it might be a worthy investment.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 22:02 

If it works as well as this I'll be quite interested in having it, though I shan't actually do so, rather like a PS3 itself.

In fact, a little more of this sort of thing:

Wouldn't go amiss either. Modern version, natch.

Suppose, for example, Eve, on the next XBox iteration, kinect controlled, with as full an implementation (say, all in-station menus, somehow) on your smartphone. Before people say kinect wouldn't be as good as mouse for Eve's labour-intensive interface, consider that a mouse only gives you one pointer. Anyway, I'm strayiung from the point. Cross platform playstation gaming is a good thing. You know, if you're that guy with a Playstation and an in-service PSP.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]