Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ] 
 Post subject: First day on the job
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 14:57 
Excellent Member

The good people of Doncaster elected Peter Davies to be their Mayor. Davies, a member of the English Democrats, went on BBC Radio Sheffield for his first interview, with Toby Foster. (Who is a most excellent chap.)

MP3 and transcript.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

Post subject: Re: First day on the job
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:02 
baron of techno

"You are finding out now, I’m telling you, Peter, you can’t do it."

Brilliant. I'll listen to that later :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:05 
UltraMod

Can someone paste the transcript? It's blocked from here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:06 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Toby Foster is a splendid chap, his programme is the best thing on Radio Sheffield...apart from Everard Davy (who of course has one of the best names ever).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:07 
baron of techno

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Toby Foster (BBC Radio Sheffield): Thanks very much for joining us. I said that we didn’t see it coming - did you see it coming? Did you expect to win?

Peter Davies: Well, well not really. A great friend of mine told me the night before I was going to get a great shock, and that I would win. I was thinking of saving the deposit at the time.

TF: I can imagine. What was it you think that made people vote for you?

PD: Well we were the only party who gave a distinctive agenda to the electorate. All the others talked waffle. I looked at all the leaflets, I couldn’t make anything of them all, they were all the same.

TF: You did give a distinctive agenda, you’re absolutely right, you made some real points on that. Let’s just have a look - let’s have a look at them shall we? The first one of course I think’s an easy one - you’re going to cut the mayor’s salary.

PD: That’s the first thing this morning

TF: Down to £30,000 a year. Now, some people could look at that Peter and say, well, you get more than that for running a supermarket these days. Surely a council deserves… a bit more respect?

PD: No, the council deserves somebody who’s going to run it properly, and it deserves somebody who’s prepared to give their services partly free, in a sense - at one time all local government councillors did all the free, er, it’s become a gravy train and I’m not prepared to be part of that.

TF: So what about the people who work for you? The deputy mayor, other people in the departments - are you cutting their wages as well?

PD: Er, well, I’ve discussed that with-, well not- not the people in the departments, I can’t- I’ve no control over what they’ve been given, but the deputy mayor and the rest of the cabinet will discuss that at, at the earliest opportunity.

TF: Well, you say you’ve no control over people in the departments, one of the big things on your campaign was that you’re going to cut ‘PC jobs’.

PD: Oh yeah, that’s a different thing altogether, er-

TF: Which jobs are those?

PD: Well, er, I’m going to look into that. Things like Diversity Officers, er, the things that are usually advertised in the Manchester-, well, it’s not the Manchester Guardian now - in the Guardian…

TF: Right, so have-, so, so hang on, so so there are politically…

PD: I mean, I can’t give you a full list at the moment, but I will…

TF: But that’s what you put on your manifesto - you must have had an idea on your manifesto what you were talking about?

PD: Yeah, yeah, all these people who are, sort of, controlling thought processes and this sort of thing, and er, erm… every department is riddled with this sort of nonsense these days.

TF: So currently then, this morning, Doncaster Council is riddled with people who are, who are doing this kind of nonsense, ah… and they’re on notice, are they? People are going to lose their jobs?

PD: Er, very likely.

TF: But we don’t know who they are, yeah? But certainly Diversity Officers…

PD: Obviously I… I’m… well, that sort of thing, yes.

TF: So, the Diversity Officer who’s getting ready for work this morning at Doncaster might as well not bother?

PD: Well, he’s… he’s in employment at the moment…

TF: But he won’t be for long?

PD: …I think, I think we ought to be talking about what we’re going to do sort of, er, now and, er, what I’ve discovered - that might be a more fruitful discussion.

TF: Well, I mean… these are the reasons people voted for you. Very bold points, as you said. Er, you’re going to cut translation services for non-English speakers - that’s a very bold point. It’s more than likely illegal, isn’t it?

PD: I dunno… again, I’ve got to find this out. It’s-

TF: Well it is - let me tell you it is, under the European Court of Human Rights it’s illegal.

PD: -Well, well, well let… we’ll look into this - we’re getting council’s opinion on what I can do and what I can’t do, and that’s…

TF: No, no, you said in your manifesto you would definitely do it.

PD: Yeah, well, I… well, I, er, if, if somebody comes in the way and stops me doing these things, then that is an insult to democracy.

TF: So what was the point of your manifesto? You might as well have said you were going to fly to the moon if you’re just going to say now that you can’t do it.

PD: No, look… I’m going to do my best to do it. If I can’t, I shall tell the electorate why I’ve not been able to do it, and who’s stood in the way of it. The-

TF: Well, the law’s standing in the way of it.

PD: -Just a minute, just a minute. The electorate clearly want me to do that. The law needs changing, then, doesn’t it?

TF: Well, you say the law needs changing-

PD: If we get a new government, then we might get rid of some of this ludicrous legislation, and be able to run our own country again.

TF: Okay, now you’re going to cut the number of councillors from 60 to 20.

PD: That is another difficulty, and the first-

TF: Can’t do it, can you?

PD: Er, well, we can appeal to their moral consciences-

TF: So you can’t do it, can you?

PD: Look, you keep telling me what I can’t do. I’ll find out what I can’t do, and if I can’t do-

TF: You are finding out now, I’m telling you, Peter, you can’t do it. You’d have thought you’d have thought of this before you started.

PD: This is quite a pointless discussion. Completely pointless.

TF: Why?

PD: Well - I’m sitting here telling you what I want to do, you’re telling me I can’t do it. I’ll find out - not from you, from other people - if I can do it or not.

TF: Why didn’t you look at to see-

PD: That’s where we go. And then we tell the electorate what’s going on.

TF: Why didn’t you look to see if you could do it before you asked people to vote on it?

PD: Because people want this to happen. And it’s time we-

TF: We all want free speech, Peter, but why didn’t you look into it to see if it could happen before you asked 14,000 people to vote on it? You know what’s going to happen - they got upset with the political processes in Doncaster before, they disliked Martin Winter. You’ve come along, you’ve waved this flag, knowing you can’t back any of it up and they’ve voted for you. How are they going to feel when they realise they’ve been hoodwinked?

PD: They’ve not been hoodwinked, I’m a man of my word, and I shall do everything that I can to put this into practice. And that is something that Doncaster’s not had before.

TF: You’re going to cut the Gay Pride funding.

PD: Yep.

TF: Erm, how much did Doncaster Council fund Gay Pride?

PD: Haven’t got a clue, I haven’t looked into… I haven’t got the details, I… I haven’t even started-

TF: About right, isn’t it? So how much did… how much was it worth to Doncaster?

PD: How…er, what?

TF: The Gay Pride march. 8,000 people in town for a day.

PD: I don’t know. They can still come. There’s nobody stopping them coming.

TF: So you don’t know what it costs, you don’t know what it earns, but you’re banning it?

PD: I’m saying that… hard-pressed taxpayers money should not be spent on promoting any type of sexuality whether it’s straight or gay.

TF: But for all you-, but for all you know it could be making a fortune for the town - you don’t know, you’ve not even looked at it.

PD: Well, it, er… it may, it may or it may not, I’m telling you what I’m not doing, and again it was on the manifesto, it was quite clear people appeared to like what I was saying.

TF: Yeah, but the stuff on the manifesto we’ve already realised - you can’t do anything about it.

PD: I think it’s time we finished this interview, it’s quite pointless. I’ve… I… It’s really wasted… I wanted to say a few things this morning that might have been-

TF: Tell me what you want to say.

PD: …that people might have wanted to listen to.

TF: Tell me what you want to say.

PD: Well, I wanted to point out that this morning I was going to, er, see that two social workers were returned to the childrens hospital, er, which were taken away some time ago for some unaccountable reason. I was going to say we’re getting rid of Doncaster News at the earliest opportunity, and I also wanted to point out that this very weekend I’ve discovered that Doncaster is twinned with nine separate towns, er, that the Mayor… the ex-Mayor had a car, for what reason I don’t know. It’s quite reasonable that the Civic Mayor has a car, but why the elected Mayor has one, God only knows, er, and it looks to me like a Daily Telegraph moment, where I shall be discovering things every day that, er, can be got rid of.

TF: Okay… none of that really means anything, does it? Let’s have a look at Doncaster News. You’re getting rid of Doncaster News, that’s a, er, flyer… er, paper that goes to every home in the borough isn’t it, to tell them what you’re doing?

PD: Well, it was to distort… er, what Mayor Winter was doing, yes.

TF: So now you’re stopping communication with the people of Doncaster?

PD: No - communication will be through the Doncaster Free Press, though Radio Sheffield if we can get some sensible interviews-

TF: Heh.

PD: -and, er, the free newspapers.

TF: So the people who work on Doncaster News, then, are they out of work as well?

PD: I don’t know, I don’t… I, I, don’t know what their full… I’ve… I… I’ve not even got… been in the office yet, I’ve… I’ve not even-

TF: This is the problem, isn’t it-

PD: -had the briefing from the Chief Executive-

TF: You actually don’t understand the laws, you don’t understand-

PD: Okay, I’m stopping this interview, it’s a complete waste of time, er, you’re not asking any sensible questions, and er, I really don’t want to continue.

TF: Peter, all I’m asking is how you’re going to deliver on your election manifesto?

>Silence<

TF: Well, I can assure you, that’s going to be one of the easiest he gets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:08 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

/Edit: Beaten to it. Damn you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
TF: Well it is - let me tell you it is, under the European Court of Human Rights it’s illegal.

Bullshit. Removing it would be illegal, not cutting it down.
I want to vote for this man. Is he one of those racists, though?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Brilliant. Full marks that man.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:15 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
kalmar wrote:

Bullshit. Removing it would be illegal, not cutting it down.

You can't seriously think the guy being interviewed is anything other than a massive cunt, can you?

"I want to ban gay marches because they cost us money!"

- do they? How much? 8000 extra people in town may raise money.

"Don't care! Ban! And make most of the people around here redundant so we can save money!"

I hope all interviewers treat him with the utter contempt he deserves.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:17 
baron of techno

Doncastrians deserve everything they get if they've elected a blowhard like that to any position of power. Very foolish.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:18 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

kalmar wrote:
Doncastrians deserve everything they get if they've elected a blowhard like that to any position of power. Very foolish.

:this:

Oh and shame on you Barnsley, shame on you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:19 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Kind of. A bit too stupid for UKIP, not cunning enough for the BNP.

I've gigged with Toby, he's as fast as they come. That bit about "how much does 8,000 people bring in" is a brilliant question.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:22 
Hibernating Druid

Awesome. Complete train wreck.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
You can't seriously think the guy being interviewed is anything other than a massive cunt, can you?

The first thing he did was to give himself a huge pay cut, so he's got quite a lot of slack in my head. I wish all elected people would do that :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:29 
UltraMod

Amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:37 
I forgot about this - how vain

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

The first thing he did was to give himself a huge pay cut, so he's got quite a lot of slack in my head.

Fuckin hell Grim... did you not listen to him?

Giving himself a pay cut is awesome.

However

He's going to cut 'PC jobs' but he can't even define what he means when he says that.
He's going to stop funding a gay pride day but hasn't looked into any aspect apart from (presuably) his feelings towards gay people.
He's going to close a local newspaper for what appears to be the reason that he doesn't like the newspaper.

He's clearly a massive, massive tool.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:38 
Excellent Member

And despite giving himself a paycut, he doesn't know whether he will cut the pay of his deputy, or what to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:38 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

The first thing he did was to give himself a huge pay cut, so he's got quite a lot of slack in my head. I wish all elected people would do that :(

True, that's one nice thing.

Not knowing a single thing about how a council works, what jobs there are, which ones are useful, what the law states etc. rather removes that slack for me. He's clearly extremely ignorant. I mean, he says he'll get rid of the sort of jobs that would be advertised in The Guardian.

*rolls eyes*

He basically got elected by promising things that he had heard some black cab driver talking about, despite them being impossible to do because loads of the stuff he promised to do are illegal.

You can just see him sat at home saying, "But I wanted to stop giving money to the blacks and the gays... surely everyone wants that?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:40 
Excellent Member

Also, I'm not sure he can actually give himself a paycut. Knowing the byzantine ways these things are set up, it would have to go through a Renumeration Committee.

Which will probably consist of the very Councillors who he wants to cut the jobs of (removing a plank of local democracy, there). So they might vote him a pay rise. For a laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:41 
baron of techno

Curiosity wrote:
He basically got elected by promising things that he had heard some black cab driver talking about, despite them being impossible to do because loads of the stuff he promised to do are illegal.

Legalised ganga? I thought he would be against that.

/racist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:45 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Has Grim always been this odd, or is it a recent thing? It's like, I've agreed with him bundles and bundles of times in the past, but today great globs of wrongness are flying from his mouth. What gives, huh?

Anyway, best thing I've read in ages. Was he played by Patrick Marber?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:45 
I forgot about this - how vain

Though from his apparent lack of knowledge about his new role he probably deserves a pay cut.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Lave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

The first thing he did was to give himself a huge pay cut, so he's got quite a lot of slack in my head.

Fuckin hell Grim... did you not listen to him?

Nope. I read the thing, though.

Dr Lave wrote:
Giving himself a pay cut is awesome.

However

He's going to cut 'PC jobs' but he can't even define what he means when he says that.
He's going to stop funding a gay pride day but hasn't looked into any aspect apart from (presuably) his feelings towards gay people.
He's going to close a local newspaper for what appears to be the reason that he doesn't like the newspaper.

He's clearly a massive, massive tool.

But a cheap tool! I agree he looks like a twonk of the highest order, but a) if that's what the people who elected him want him to do, then that's what he should try and do, and b) closing the newspaper might not be a bad idea. One of the first things Boris did was the discontinue The Londoner, saving nearly three million pounds.

It makes me sad to think that he might not be able to give himself a pay cut.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

nervouspete wrote:
Has Grim always been this odd, or is it a recent thing? It's like, I've agreed with him bundles and bundles of times in the past, but today great globs of wrongness are flying from his mouth. What gives, huh?

I'm poor, and trying to look after two kids is expensive. This man wants to save money, which is A Good Thing. He's mostly trying to save it on the wrong things, though, which is A Bad Thing. However, anyone that thinks that there isn't too many people employed by the government at the moment is rather wrong, in my head.

[edit]Also, I'm still ill, and I fancied a barny. I'm going to start a thread about museums next.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:53 
UltraMod

I think the problem is, Grim..., is that he's been voted in on lots of promises he doesn't have a chance in fulfilling. He's basically lied his way into the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:53 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
nervouspete wrote:

I'm poor, and trying to look after two kids is expensive. This man wants to save money, which is A Good Thing. He's mostly trying to save it on the wrong things, though, which is A Bad Thing. However, anyone that thinks that there isn't too many people employed by the government at the moment is rather wrong, in my head.

Fair 'nuff, sympathies man. I'm cranky today.

Libraries though! :luv:

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:55 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:

Fair enough, but it's akin to someone yelling "This man needs a doctor" before throwing on some scrubs and butchering the man to death with a machete.

Well intentioned perhaps, but still thoroughly mental and worthy of derision.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

myp wrote:
I think the problem is, Grim..., is that he's been voted in on lots of promises he doesn't have a chance in fulfilling. He's basically lied his way into the job.

I shall watch with interest.

Which basically means I will forget about it by this evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:01 
Goth

This is my town and I voted for Mick Maye as I know the guy (he's a market guy like me). After the interview with Mick on BBC I don't know if he would be much better in terms of competence. At least he's not a racist homophobe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nirejhenge wrote:
At least he's not a racist homophobe.

There needs to be a faster way of saying "racist homophobe". Romophobe?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:05 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:

Fagscist?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:06 
Excellent Member

Twat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:06 
What-ho, chaps!

This reminds me of those folks that go on Dragons' Den and don't expect to be asked questions about money.

That kind of thing was excused in the first series, because the rules weren't clearly set out; the show was marketed as being supportive of new products, rather than it being supportive of realistic, already successful business investments. (Those chaps who ran a company selling slot machine security devices got an offer in minutes.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I applied to go on Dragons Den. They didn't write back :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:13 
Hibernating Druid

Did you try to buy them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:52 

That presenter provoked the daft politician once he realised the guy wasn't interview-ready. Regardless of who the guy is Doncaster has got him for four years and while I agree the new mayor wants a bit of a scare in his first interview, you can either twist the knife for sensationalism's sake or offer the guy a chance to redeem himself by asking him to come back the next day with answers, which is the route I'd have taken, were I in PUBLIC SERVICE bradcasting. As a massacre of an interviewee, it's close to as good as I've heard. As a helpful interview to any party but those looking to be entertained, there's a hint of phail.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 17:04 

Grim... wrote:

My boss' sister (also related to our esteemed forumite Curiosity) went on Dragon's Den, where (apparently, I never saw it) the Dragons ripped her a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 17:09 
That Rev Chap

Grim... wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:

A griffin, perhaps?

"I fucking hate that guy, he's a complete griffin."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 17:12 
Excellent Member

The Rev Owen wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:

A griffin, perhaps?

"I fucking hate that guy, he's a complete griffin."

One of my best mates is called Ben Griffin. And he owns a chainsaw. Best think again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 17:13 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

My boss' sister (also related to our esteemed forumite Curiosity) went on Dragon's Den, where (apparently, I never saw it) the Dragons ripped her a new one.

That she did, though I also didn't see it. One of the early series, IIRC. A shame they didn't invest, as her flip-flops are ace.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 17:43 

Curiosity wrote:
A shame they didn't invest, as her flip-flops are ace.

I believe the main sticking point was the price of them. As good as they are, they are hilariously expensive when you can get a semi-decent pair for £3 from virtually any supermarket ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 18:29 
What-ho, chaps!

Quote:
A griffin, perhaps?

As long you don't get mixed up with gryphons, which are cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 18:34 
Gogmagog

MrD wrote:
Quote:
A griffin, perhaps?

As long you don't get mixed up with gryphons, which are cool.

Absolutely shit at air hockey, though. Which surprised me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 18:45 
Engorged Member

myp wrote:

A question for all you fine, upstanding members of the electorate: Have any of you ever read the manifesto from one of the main parties in the run up to a general election?

You'll find that they are chock full of things which never materialise. I'm afraid this is politics, a sphere in which lying is an integral part. I will temper that statement by saying that they also do contain things which do materialise, unlike our friend with his feet on the Mayoral desk in Doncaster Town Hall's manifesto.

An interesting fact: MPs can say anything they want in Parliament. Parliamentary privilege specifically protects them from being sued for defamation in a way that they are not anywhere else.

Food for thought.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 18:51 
Goth

Next time we need Price Drop TV: Doncaster's Mayor Edition. Or something. Maybe something like the bidding on Name That Tune. "I'll be Doncaster's Mayor for £30,000!" "I'll do it for £29,500!" "I'll do it for a chip butty!" "I'll pay to be mayor!" (yes, yes we get the idea - Ed)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 19:02 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Quote:
It makes me sad to think that he might not be able to give himself a pay cut.

Quite, but there's nothing stopping him from simply giving the excess to charity, or writing cheques back to the council.

Grim... wrote:

"Tory".

I had to. I had to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:12 
Excellent Member

Myfinger wrote:
An interesting fact: MPs can say anything they want in Parliament. Parliamentary privilege specifically protects them from being sued for defamation in a way that they are not anywhere else.

True, but they cannot call anyone a liar in the House. And Clare Short was suspended for implying Alan Clark was drunk at the despatch box. (He was.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 17:02 
baron of techno

Plissken wrote:
Myfinger wrote:

True, but they cannot call anyone a liar in the House.

They can't call anyone in the House a liar, I believe. Slight distinction.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 17:53 

No point in doing so anyway - stating the obvious, innit?

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]