Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Blue Dragon
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:17 
Skillmeister

I've had this sitting on my shelf for about a year now, so I thought the time was ripe to actually try it last night. It's not three bad, so far.

I haven't really been "in" to JRPGs since Final Fantasy IX due to the majority going for so-called realistic looking characters. My brain can't handle that. I'm somehow able to accept cartoony characters in games much easier than the plastic faced things from FF8,10-onwards. So it's nice to find this was cartooned up.

You control three hateful sprogs who have issues and revenge and lost from home and stuff. There's lots of annoying voice acting, and the sprogs have a tendancy to over explain things as if you're the biggest retard on the planet. Say you go up to a treasure chest, you get a dialogue exchange of
"Let's open this chest!"
"Yes! The chest must be opened!"
"I wonder what is in this chest?"
"The chest is locked!"
"We picked up a key earlier!"
"Do you think that key will work on this chest?"
"How shall we know if we do not try!"
"Shall I try the key in this chest?"
"I think that would wise!"
"I shall try the key in this chest!"
"The key fits!"
"The chest is unlocked now!"
"Shall we look in the chest?"
...and so forth. Instead of simply walking up to the FUCKING treasure chest and seeing a message "key used" or something.

It's surprisingly free of random battles, thankfully. You can see your enemies weebling about the environment and have a choice of avoidance, ambush or straight on battle. Typical turn based combat ripped straight out of the FF mould, even down to Scrappy Doo trumpeting your victory at the end. Quite a massive annoyance so far is the boss battles, which are accompanied by utterly, utterly shite music. Guitar noodling wankery of the first order, which is accompanied by lyrics of
"This is the beginning!
The beginning of the battle!
Fight the battle!
Use your heart!
Heart is in a battle!
Battle battle heart yeah!
HEART ATTACK!
ARGH MY HEART!
HEART!
OOOOOOWWWWWW!"

Anyway, it's hooked me enough to continue with it for the meantime. I shall report on it more, maybe.

Post subject: Re: Blue Dragon
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:24 

I'd like to try a more traditional adventure on the 360 but so far sticking to the like of Fallout 3 and Mass Effect has seen me avoid the frustrations of your average JRPG. Seems like this isn't one to change my mind.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:26 
Skillmeister

It's quite good, honest. I forgot to mention that some enemies leave a "poo" behind after defeat, which you can rummage in to find gold. :S

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:30 
Paws for thought

Dimrill wrote:
which is accompanied by lyrics of
"This is the beginning!
Fight the battle!
Use your heart!
Heart is in a battle!
HEART ATTACK!
ARGH MY HEART!
HEART!
OOOOOOWWWWWW!"

Please tell me you're joking.

I'd die of embarrassment playing that if not. (See also: Enchanted Arms, I couldn't play with the English speech, as the voice actors were just awful)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:33 
Skillmeister

I've got the first line right, I think.

I may have to put it on to Japanese voices, because the 'merican voice actors are bloody awful. Rugrats rejects.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:39 

I seem to remember I couldn't play Skies of Arcadia in the presence of anyone else as it was too embarrassing.
I think I played the demo of this (was there a demo?), but my last attempt at an RPG was Eternal Sonata, which I still haven't started 18 months after I bought it. ?:|
(I did love FFIX though)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lost Odyssey is worth it, if folks want a JRPG. Just, once you've watched the first dream, remember you can skip all the others.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:42 
Paws for thought

The thing is that I found Enchanted Arms really quite funny (That the main character was incredibly stupid and had a magic arm was a joke which ran through the entire game) but hearing it through those voice actors was painful. I don't doubt that the japanese ones were similary bad, but at least I didn't recognise that.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:43 
Paws for thought

Craster wrote:
Lost Odyssey is worth it, if folks want a JRPG. Just, once you've watched the first dream, remember you can skip all the others.

I actually quite liked them, but they can be entirely ignored with little effect on the understanding of the actual plot.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:43 
Skillmeister

Yeah, I appear to have collected quite a few for a fiver here and there, and never got around to starting them. I'm looking at you Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata. I've got a bit jaded of grubby "dark" games to be honest. I wanted something bright and cheerful to work away on, so I turned to the Dragon.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 17:51 
SavyGamer

BAD GAME

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 
Excellent Member

I trust all the JRPG fans in here have played Dragon's Quest VIII? It's probably the only JRPG on the planet with good English voice-acting. They're not American, which is half the battle won right there. Plus, they can actually act.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 
It's all pish

Dimrill wrote:
"This is the beginning!
Fight the battle!
Use your heart!
Heart is in a battle!
HEART ATTACK!
ARGH MY HEART!
HEART!
OOOOOOWWWWWW!"

That was so the Luxembourg entry in the 1976 Eurovision Song Contest.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:13 
Skillmeister

Ee ar:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:44 
Excellent Member

The ear muffs, they do nothing.

Do you get a different 'song' for each boss, of do you have to endure that aural monstrosity repeatedly? I find both possibilities terrifying.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:03 
Honey Boo Boo

Joans wrote:
I seem to remember I couldn't play Skies of Arcadia in the presence of anyone else as it was too embarrassing.

Eh? Apart from the 'overrrrwraughtsppINNNIINGATTAAAAAAAAAAACK!' battlecries, there was no spoken dialogue, just wonderful music. Oh, and the odd laugh of glee/growl of anger as suited the dialogue.

But then, it was bright and colourful so perhaps you didn't feel 'hard' enough playing it and had to switch STABBY STABBY WHOREFEST: RAPERS back on to prove your 'hardness'.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:16 

MetalAngel wrote:
Joans wrote:

Eh? Apart from the 'overrrrwraughtsppINNNIINGATTAAAAAAAAAAACK!' battlecries, there was no spoken dialogue, just wonderful music. Oh, and the odd laugh of glee/growl of anger as suited the dialogue.

But then, it was bright and colourful so perhaps you didn't feel 'hard' enough playing it and had to switch STABBY STABBY WHOREFEST: RAPERS back on to prove your 'hardness'.

I seem to remember some of the special attacks were full of cheesy speech. The actual game itself was fine (and great fun, I'd like to play it again if I could find the time).

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 
Son of a Reaperman

Dimrill wrote:
Ee ar:

Biff Byford? Is that you?!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:04 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Dave wrote:
The thing is that I found Enchanted Arms really quite funny (That the main character was incredibly stupid and had a magic arm was a joke which ran through the entire game) but hearing it through those voice actors was painful. I don't doubt that the japanese ones were similary bad, but at least I didn't recognise that.

I should give that another try. I was rather put off by the sheer amount of dialogue early on - they just went on and on.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 13:11 
PC Gamer

grumpysmurf wrote:
I trust all the JRPG fans in here have played Dragon's Quest VIII? It's probably the only JRPG on the planet with good English voice-acting. They're not American, which is half the battle won right there. Plus, they can actually act.

COR BLIMEY!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 13:41 
Skillmeister

grumpysmurf wrote:
The ear muffs, they do nothing.

Do you get a different 'song' for each boss, of do you have to endure that aural monstrosity repeatedly? I find both possibilities terrifying.

Every boss. Every one. Luckily, I've only heard it about 6 times so far, but it's enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 16:36 
Skillmeister

FUCKING MUSIC!! I've now got it so lodged in my head that I sing a commentary on most things I'm doing.
I am cooking breakfast!
Lovely lovely breakfast!
I shall put it in my mooooooouth!

Jebuz Crips help me.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 17:04 
Paws for thought

devilman wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I should give that another try. I was rather put off by the sheer amount of dialogue early on - they just went on and on.

I wouldn't recommend buying it if you don't have it.

I also wouldn't recommend playing it if you don't find the concept of the main character celebrating when he learns how to open doors (press A), open chests (press A) and similar (Press A) amusing.

In all, I wouldn't recommend it, but I liked it lots.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 19:15 
Comfortably Dumb

I've already got it so I might as well try it sometime. I've only watched GJ's youngest play it and we both got bored pretty quickly... we probably stuck EDF on soon after.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:05 
Honey Boo Boo

Mr Dave wrote:
I also wouldn't recommend playing it if you don't find the concept of the main character celebrating when he learns how to open doors (press A), open chests (press A) and similar (Press A) amusing.

Is that any worse than when you walk up to characters who say things like 'gee, I heard if I walk up to treasure chests and push (A), I can open them!' or 'I've been trying all day to do a sliding jump by pressing (down) and (X) but I just can't pull it off! Can you?'

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:17 
Excellent Member

MetalAngel wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Is that any worse than when you walk up to characters who say things like 'gee, I heard if I walk up to treasure chests and push (A), I can open them!' or 'I've been trying all day to do a sliding jump by pressing (down) and (X) but I just can't pull it off! Can you?'

modern (aka, anything after Shining Force 2) jRPG's seem like they were designed for people with down's syndrome. I wonder if Shining Force and Phantasy Star also had all these stupidity, because i loved those games and i don't remember anything like that.

But to be fair, Mario and Zelda games do the same. It's one of the things that annoy me that reviewers never point it out. It's like they're clocking against each other to see who breaks the 4th wall first.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:22 
Honey Boo Boo

At the same time, I find the many cliches charming in a way.

The Grand List of RPG cliches (essential reading) aside, I love how there's always a villager obsessed with exercise, a woman cursing her absent child/spouse, a young boy trying to impress a disinterested girl, an aspiring hero, a crazy old drunk...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 
Comfortably Dumb

RuySan wrote:
I wonder if Shining Force and Phantasy Star also had all these stupidity, because i loved those games and i don't remember anything like that.

Certainly with Shining Force, you were sometimes rewarded for searching places without needing prompting - from amusing book titles on shelves to hidden stuff in barrels etc. Games now just spoon-feed you instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 14:40 
Paws for thought

MetalAngel wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

It's all in the way it's done, really. The overreaction of an 18 year old finally learning how to open a dorr.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 14:52 
Skillmeister

Still enjoying this. On disc 3 now.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 14:52 
UltraMod

It comes on three discs?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 14:54 
Skillmeister

Yep. Mostly cutscenes and 3 separate languages. Lost Odyssey is 4 discs.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 14:55 
Skillmeister

myp wrote:
It comes on three discs?

Also, for lulz, "only when I take you from behind!" and so forth.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 15:02 
Paws for thought

Dimrill wrote:
Still enjoying this. On disc 3 now.

"Dimrill is posting on a forum,
Having reached disc 3.
DISC 3, the finale.
Disc 3, disc 3 yeahawoooo"

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 15:10 
Skillmeister

Try getting to sleep with that running through your Mind. It's hard.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 15:15 
Paws for thought

"Dimrill is trying to go to sleep
But he keeps thinking of guitar masturbation.
He can't sleep, nooohoohoohoooo."

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 15:47 
It's all pish

You know who's on Lead Guitar on that song...

:metul:

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 15:48 
Skillmeister

They do far too much of that hand clenching stuff in this game. Also hand chopping in a diagonal direction thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 17:40 
Skillmeister

I'm just going to drop this useful document here if any Other Gentleman is going for the achievements in this. It's a chronological list of missable stuff.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 15:54 
Skillmeister

57 hours later, that was an odd ending

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
They all live in a Kinder Egg

:S

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 15:56 
Excellent Member

Dimrill wrote:
57 hours later, that was an odd ending

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
They all live in a Kinder Egg

:S

that's excellent. Almost makes me want to play it

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 21:25 
Chu Jung?

Dimrill wrote:
I may have to put it on to Japanese voices

Did you find a way to do this? As far as I could tell, after choosing the English dub the first time the game booted up, there was no way of going back. If you tell me there's a way of getting rid of those horrible dopey American voices without having to start the whole thing again, there's a good chance I might want to revisit this.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 21:33 
Skillmeister

I didn't figure it out, no :( Like you say, you seem to be stuck with them once you've chosen.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 21:38 
Chu Jung?

Pah, that's rubbish. Thanks anyhow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 14:59 
Skillmeister

105 hours later, maxed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 15:09 
Has anyone played lost odyssey?

Im on the 4th disc and some tanks keep pwning me, and I can't seem to beat them.
Would it just be a case of spending hours levelling up, im around level 45ish for my party at the moment

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 15:10 
Skillmeister

If it's a JRPG, then yes. Levelling is the answer to everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 15:11 
gah! I can't be bothered! :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 15:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

nickachu wrote:

Im on the 4th disc and some tanks keep pwning me, and I can't seem to beat them.
Would it just be a case of spending hours levelling up, im around level 45ish for my party at the moment

That's actually a tough fight. Concentrate on taking out the main tank's two special attacks, as they're the ones that will muller you. The more 'absorb attack' type skills you can have equipped, the better. Everyone needs persistance! Use the best all-shield/all-barricade/all-regen skills you have.

EDIT - you should be able to do it at L45 or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 15:15 
Paws for thought

nickachu wrote:

Yes

Quote:

I really can't remember.

Actually... I think I can. That took me a few attempts. If you're stuck, you can always look on t'web for strategy advice, along with recommended level required.

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next