Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Mancunians to be "lucky" first Brits to get ID cards
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Apologies for yet another The Register link, but I thought this one might be of interest, particularly to our very own Champion of Libertarianism, Mr Kern. It's also a good opportunity to take the mick out of our Mancunian friends; something never to be wasted.

So:

Quote:
Yesterday she told the people of Manchester that they might be lucky enough to get their hands on ID cards earlier than the rest of the country.

You lucky, lucky people you.

Quote:
Wacky Jacqui, with the help of the BBC, claimed in November that "people can't wait for ID cards". Talking about general availability of cards in 2012 she said: "I regularly have people coming up to me and saying they don't want to wait that long."

First of all I'm amazed that these alleged "people" can get past the two dozen policemen she surrounds herself with. Secondly - what? This cannot, on any level, be true, can it? Is there really even a single person in the country who wants ID cards, let alone can't wait for them? This strikes me as a fairly blatant lie on her part - but that's nothing new, of course.

Quote:
Our Jacqui visited pupils at a school in Wythenshawe, and: "Together they discussed how identity cards will help young people strike out on their own by opening their first bank account, renting their first flat, or perhaps travelling to Europe for the first time."

Did they really? Did they also discuss how they can do all of this now with their passports? As that's how every modern Brit ever to have lived has done it up until now.

Quote:
She said the scales were falling from people's eyes as they saw the "real benefits for citizens... That is why we have brought forward our plans and this year will begin offering identity cards on a voluntary basis, giving British nationals the chance to access the benefits of identity cards as soon as possible."

I'm still yet to hear what these supposed benefits are, over and above "things we already have". And these falling scales seem to be falling against the tide of the successive surveys on the matter.

I'm not sure I've hated a home secretary more. What is it about that particular governmental position that turns people into raging right wing, authoritarian nutjobs?

And why do they want ID cards, anyway? It's not actually going to help government in any way - it's just going to be yet another massively expensive government IT job which will doubtless end up being trimmed down in scope as it doesn't work properly, but still cost twice the original estimate.

So who is it who wants these things? Who's been whispering in successive HomSecs' ears? I assume it must be plod.

Post subject: Re: First ID cards to go to "lucky" Mancunians
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Technically the Mancs won't be the first. Foreign nationals already have them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:39 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Technically the Mancs won't be the first. Foreign nationals already have them.

First brits, then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:39 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

If you really wanted to fight crime / prevent terrorism / catch benefit frauds then just imagine how many coppers or spies or analysts you could hire with the cash this will cost.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:42 
Excellent Member

I don't see the point. No-one will carry them anyway. Will the police be able to insist on seeing them? Police-state on the way?

"Hello Sir, may I see your ID card?"
"Sorry, I left my wallet in my desk at work"
"Then you are a terrorist and are nicked"
"Well, shit!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:44 
INFINITE POWAH

4thDimension wrote:
I don't see the point. No-one will carry them anyway. Will the police be able to insist on seeing them? Police-state on the way?

"Well, shit!"

I think that's the ultimate intention, yes. That was the original idea, they backed down slightly about it, but basically said they would do so at some point once it's all under way.

Post subject: Re: Mancunians to be "lucky" first Brits to get ID cards
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:47 
Excellent Member

I've got a better idea. Tattoo our NI number on the back of our necks the day we're born. Or microchips inside the brain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Or just put us all in Matrix style pods and use us to run Peter Hain's sunbed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:50 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Chris wrote:
And why do they want ID cards, anyway? It's not actually going to help government in any way - it's just going to be yet another massively expensive government IT job which will doubtless end up being trimmed down in scope as it doesn't work properly, but still cost twice the original estimate.

Plus, as soon as the first case of identity theft occurs using an ID card, it'll all blow up spectacularly in their faces. Not literally, although I suppose that could be the next step - exploding ID cards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:53 
Excellent Member

"OBEY OR DIE, EUROPEAN!"
"I just wanted a paper!"
Surrey, 2013

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 15:56 

Mr Chris wrote:
Champion of Libertarianism, Mr Kern.

I wouldn't go that far, I've kind of gone of political labels and like the idea of a welfare state. And it's Lord Kern.*

But yeah, she's living in a delusional world. She doesn't even understand her own legislation: as I have to keep on pointing out to my MP, it's a database scheme, not an identity card system. If they wanted the latter, they'd have printed out the back of passports. There might be a case for offering people a plastic version of that information, which is what people think they're getting when they say 'identity cards'.

I also like the way they claim to be voluntary except they'll stop you from having holidays abroad if you don't want your details on the ueber-secure database. I keep on asking my MP why I should be prevented from having a passport merely because I wish to keep my data safe and away from this snakeoil. He seems unable to tell me.

But I'm preaching to the converted and as I have a rule that everytime that ghastly woman speaks about the scheme I have to send money to No2Id it'll be fewer beers for me tonight.

* (except when I'm at re-enactments, when from what I understand it's forfuckssakekeepinlinePrivate Kern)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:05 
Master of dodgy spelling....

With out being shot down, I really can't see a problem with an ID card.

As I have said I carry my driving licence so I would just carry my ID card instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:06 
INFINITE POWAH

Kovacs Caprios wrote:

As I have said I carry my driving licence so I would just carry my ID card instead.

You're fine with all of your details, including your DNA, being on a central database accessible by any governmental authority, from your local council up to Mrs Smith herself? Which is evidenced by a card, which, if spoofed or stolen, will allow the user to do anything at all?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:07 
baron of techno

Mr Chris wrote:
4thDimension wrote:

"Well, shit!"

I think that's the ultimate intention, yes. That was the original idea, they backed down slightly about it, but basically said they would do so at some point once it's all under way.

The last I read on it, they were again going to be mandatory to carry pretty much from the start.

Hmm. Must give some more money to no2id.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:07 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Chris wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

You're fine with all of your details, including your DNA, being on a central database accessible by any governmental authority, from your local council up to Mrs Smith herself? Which is evidenced by a card, which, if spoofed or stolen, will allow the user to do anything at all?

You're forgetting all the benefits!

There's um.. er.. bye! *runs*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:09 
baron of techno

Kern wrote:
I have to send money to No2Id it'll be fewer Real Ales for me tonight.

Stereotype-FTFY :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:09 
Excellent Member

Sure, but if they make it a requirement to carry it and produce on demand, that is a step too far.

Also, I agree with Kern. If they can guarantee that the data is secure, they can go ahead. But they can't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:11 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I thought they were to fight terrorism, not to allow me to open a bank account or rent a flat using a different piece of identification.

Has the original reason gone the way of WMDs?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:12 
baron of techno

Malabar Front wrote:
I thought they were to fight terrorism

They told me it was something to do with illegal immigrants!

Or was it to save us from the giant mutant star goat?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:14 

kalmar wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
I thought they were to fight terrorism

They told me it was something to do with illegal immigrants!

Oh. Well maybe they are. I guess they must have pretty sharp corners or something.

Cue an overwhelming number of ID card stabbings, and them being banned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:14 
INFINITE POWAH

4thDimension wrote:
Sure, but if they make it a requirement to carry it and produce on demand, that is a step too far.

Also, I agree with Kern. If they can guarantee that the data is secure, they can go ahead. But they can't.

As with the Communications Data Bill database of emails and phone calls, it's not just the security of the data, but the uses to which it may be put that's a concern. As with every thing like this, whether it's an "anti-terrorism" measure or otherwise, there's always a massive amount of function creep and expansion of who can see it. If they've not just said from the outset that everyone in the public sector plus your gas company can look at it anyway, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:20 

devilman wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

All bar the DNA yes, which I doubt will happen.

The driving licences has all the rest of the information on it.. Name, address and pic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
devilman wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

The driving licences has all the rest of the information on it.. Name, address and pic.

Uh, no.

50 categories of registrable fact are set out in the Bill, though they could be added to. Effectively an index to all other official and quasi-official records, through cross-references and an audit trail of all checks on the Register, the NIR would be the key to a total life history of every individual, to be retained even after death. See #sch1" class="postlink">here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:29 

Mr Chris wrote:

Uh, no.

50 categories of registrable fact are set out in the Bill, though they could be added to. Effectively an index to all other official and quasi-official records, through cross-references and an audit trail of all checks on the Register, the NIR would be the key to a total life history of every individual, to be retained even after death.

How cool, is that, and can they store all 50 said items now?

Or will it start off with teh basics and be added too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:40 

Squirt wrote:
If you really wanted to fight crime / prevent terrorism / catch benefit frauds then just imagine how many coppers or spies or analysts you could hire with the cash this will cost.

Amusingly, the Home Office say that scrapping the scheme will not save any money. Fantastically, they seem to imply that the scheme breaks all known rules of economics and has no oppurtunity cost as the money it's going to cost us could not be spent elsewhere. I think they mean 'it's not coming out of our budget but as an additional tax on the public'. Fuckwits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:47 
INFINITE POWAH

Kern wrote:
Squirt wrote:

Amusingly, the Home Office say that scrapping the scheme will not save any money. Fantastically, they seem to imply that the scheme breaks all known rules of economics and has no oppurtunity cost as the money it's going to cost us could not be spent elsewhere. I think they mean 'it's not coming out of our budget but as an additional tax on the public'. Fuckwits.

Well, yes. As you'll have to pay, what, £100 for it? For a compulsory card. The cunts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:52 

Mr Chris wrote:
Well, yes. As you'll have to pay, what, £100 for it? For a compulsory card.

Labour's poll tax. Yet even worse because at least Mrs T's community charge was an attempt to solve an existing problem. This lot don't even know what they're doing it for.

But the money can be spent on other things. Booze, whores, and books for me. But not in that order.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:54 

So when was it we get to kick Labour off the podium? Oh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 16:56 
and!

I can't ask my MP about this, because my MP is Jacqui Smith.

Quote:

If there's anyone who needs to go on the B-Ark, it's her.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 17:42 
Sitting balls-back folder

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
devilman wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

You don't have to produce your driver's licence at all ever, except to the police (when you're driving a car in suspicious circumstances), DVLA (if they're updating it) and court (to make sure the DVLA get it). You don't worry that the binmanwaste technician might want to know if you have HIV and so he should "forget" to empty your binsmanage your waste solutions every week?

Or more simply, leave 3 dozen security holes in the database interface so your data is routinely viewed, stolen and modified by those 2 or 3 people they don't already give permission to (one of whom will presumably be yourself, because you certainly don't need to know or worry about what they "know"/make up/get wrong about you)?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 17:51 

ltia wrote:

Her majority's below 3,000. Just remind her of that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 18:44 
SavyGamer

hmm. I'm from Manchester, although not at uni there. I wonder if they will try to force one upon me.

Also, did anything ever happen about the law-breaking propeganda site the home office made to brainwash young people?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 19:48 
Gogmagog

LewieP wrote:
Also, did anything ever happen about the law-breaking propeganda site the home office made to brainwash young people?

I registered, and started telling them about my daily movements (just fucking don't, OK), and it seems to have gone down the pan after that.

ID cards. Hmm, I can't really add much more to what has been said by others.

I'm against the idea, and might write to the most excellet Tony Baldry once more, over this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 20:35 
Rude Belittler

Personally, I have nothing against ID cards in principle, as I don't drive, and don't wish to renew my passport as I don't wish to leave the country.

I'm not enamoured by the 1984 style implementation they seem to be going for, however.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 20:56 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Any public figure who visits a school and takes whatever questions and comments the teachers force the children (or at least the ones who are allowed to see the visitor) to say as indicative of anything at all is a very deluded and stupid idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 22:50 
Gogmagog

sinister agent wrote:
Any public figure who visits a school and takes whatever questions and comments the teachers force the children (or at least the ones who are allowed to see the visitor) as indicative of anything at all is a very deluded and stupid idiot.

"Where's maddy?" though, would have me crying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 23:03 

She was to young to have an identity card, and look what happened to her.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:08 
What-ho, chaps!

Quote:

Do it anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:31 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MrD wrote:
Quote:

Do it anyway!

Dear Jacqui,

Young people don't vote, you moron.

Love

-The actual public.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:50 

Roll up! Just £60 to save yourself from terrorism/fraud/pig plague/global warming/bullets! Form an orderly queue! Limited stocks!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8035002.stm

At least proper snake oil salespeople wore fancy clothes and had cool hats.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:10 
I forgot about this - how vain

LewieP wrote:
hmm. I'm from Manchester, although not at uni there. I wonder if they will try to force one upon me.

There is a pretty much full back up of that site now.

I have a copy.

Should really try to get it rehosted...

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:09 

She is funny, though, you have to give her that:

Quote:
At a series of meetings on Wednesday, Ms Smith said post offices and pharmacies could play an important role in the success of the ID scheme, allowing people to give their fingerprints and a face scan while "out doing the shopping".

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:21 

The best comment I've read on 'Have Your Say' today is from the lady who states that for £60 she could buy her children shoes. Not an argument about privacy, or the government's ability to run a database, but about her sense of priorities. Labour MPs who entered politics to help the poor should hang their heads in shame *

*(preferably from a lamppost)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:34 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Agent Starling wrote:
She is funny, though, you have to give her that:

Quote:
At a series of meetings on Wednesday, Ms Smith said post offices and pharmacies could play an important role in the success of the ID scheme, allowing people to give their fingerprints and a face scan while "out doing the shopping".

I was going to quote that bit too, but it ended up far too full of calls for people to do terribly violent things to her that I thought it best to leave it. Beyond parody, isn't she? You've got to wonder what's being pumped into the air vents in Westminster Palace, and what planet it came from.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:37 

sinister agent wrote:
Beyond parody, isn't she? .

I know of a place on the Cowley Road where they'll take my fingerprints and give my face a quick scan whilst I'm out shopping...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:40 
Sitting balls-back folder

Kern wrote:
Labour MPs who entered politics to help the poor should hang their heads in shame *

*(preferably from a lamppost)
That's more hanging their bodies.

They still don't get that it doesn't work on any one of cost, intent or freedom/civil liberty, do they? Or they do, and they don't care one jot, in which case they're deliberately acting to the detriment of society and the population.

Either way, it's one enormous "Unfit for purpose" exclamation mark. If only we had a "Sale of Governments Act" we could take them back for repair/replace/refund on.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 

BikNorton wrote:
They still don't get that it doesn't work on any one of cost, intent or freedom/civil liberty, do they?

I kept on asking my old MP that. He was never able to respond to my questions, but I did get a nice collection of Home Office form letters. Sadly, I've moved out of his area now: I would have enjoyed voting against him.

My big fear is that after the election, a group of civil servants will collar the new Home secretary with something like this:

'Minister, about your pledge to drop the identity scheme...we can't....too far down the line...cost a lot...contracts you know...'

Annoyingly, I now have to send No2id some money as the idiot woman opened her mouth on this matter again.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:57 
Comfortably Dumb

From the comment box on that article -

Quote:
I have done nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide, why wouldn't I want a card?
Mike, Manchester

Why would you want one? Maybe they can advertise it - 'Don't want an ID card? You must be a terrorist then!'

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:10 
Peculiar, yet lovely

devilman wrote:
From the comment box on that article -

Quote:
I have done nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide, why wouldn't I want a card?
Mike, Manchester

Why would you want one? Maybe they can advertise it - 'Don't want an ID card? You must be a terrorist then!'

I wish I knew more people like Mike. I could sell them any old shit. "Want to buy my anti-terrorist lint? Only £50 a gram. Why not? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING? Yes, I do accept credit cards, thanks."

I could also open a fetish porn website with all the cameras I'd installed in their bathrooms. I mean, you have nothing to hide, right Mike? It's not like privacy is a very important psychological need, or anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 

In other Jacqui-news:

U.S. shock-jock Michael Savage to sue 'lunatic' Jacqui Smith for banning him from Britain
Quote:
'When has this witch heard my show, since it's not syndicated in England?'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1177428/U-S-shock-jock-sue-lunatic-Jacqui-Smith-banning-Britain.html

When she gets the boot, I feel we ought to make her the first honourary BeeXer as tribute to the joy she brings to this forum.

Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next